NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Charlotte Hornets star Miles Bridges pleaded not guilty to felony domestic violence charges on Wednesday after he was accused of assaulting his girlfriend in front of their children.
Bridges entered the plea at an arraignment, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office said. He was formally charged with one felony count of injuring a child’s parent and two felony counts of child abuse under circumstances or conditions likely to cause great bodily injury or death on Tuesday.
“Domestic violence creates physical, mental and emotional trauma that has a lasting impact on survivors,” Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon said in a news release earlier this week. “Children who witness family violence are especially vulnerable and the impact on them is immeasurable. Mr. Bridges will be held accountable for his actions and our Bureau of Victim Services will support the survivors through this difficult process.”
Charlotte Hornets forward Miles Bridges reacts after being fouled during the first half of an NBA game against the Brooklyn Nets at Barclays Center in New York on March 27, 2022. (Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports)
The Hornets released a statement to Fox News Digital late Tuesday night.
“We are aware of the charges that were filed today against Miles Bridges. These are very serious charges that we will continue to monitor. As this is a legal matter, we will have no further comment at this time,” the team said.
The NBA added: “We are aware of the charges filed today against Miles Bridges. The league is investigating the allegations.”
Mychelle Johnson, the mother of Bridges’ two children, addressed the incident on Instagram on July 1, posting several pictures of injuries and a medical report that read “adult victim of physical abuse by male partner; Assault by strangulation, Brain concussion; Closed fracture of nasal bone; Contusion of rib; Multiple bruises; Strain of neck muscle.”
Miles Bridges of the Charlotte Hornets reacts during the second half of an NBA game against the Atlanta Hawks at State Farm Arena in Atlanta on April 13, 2022. (Todd Kirkland/Getty Images)
Johnson added in a separate Instagram post: “I hate that it has come to this but I can’t be silent anymore. I’ve allowed someone to destroy my home, abuse me in every way possible and traumatize our kids for life. I have nothing to prove to the world, but I won’t allow anyone who could do something so horrible to have no remorse and paint a picture of something I’m not. I won’t allow the people around him to continue to silence me and continue to lie to protect this person.”
Bridges, 24, was initially arrested on July 1 for “intimate partner violence with injury,” the LAPD said on Twitter. He was released on $130,000 bond.
Authorities said the alleged assault on the defendant’s girlfriend happened on June 27 and 28 and occurred in front of their two children, according to a complaint.
Charlotte Hornets forward Miles Bridges moves up the court during an NBA game against the Denver Nuggets in Charlotte, N.C., on March 28, 2022. (AP Photo/Rusty Jones, File)
Bridges is a restricted free agent. The Hornets extended a qualifying offer to him on June 28. He led Charlotte in scoring with 20.2 points and 7 rebounds in his fourth season.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Ryan Gaydos is the sports editor for Fox News and Fox Business. Story tips can be sent to Ryan.Gaydos@fox.com.