By WECT Staff | April 27, 2021 at 4:37 PM EDT – Updated April 29 at 4:35 PM
CAROLINA BEACH, N.C. (WECT) – A Wilmington man accused of using two hammers to assault a 76-year-old man in Carolina Beach last week is now in custody.
A spokesperson for the Carolina Beach Police Department said Joshua Jamal Kharrat, 31, surrendered to law enforcement around 4 p.m. Thursday and was served an arrest warrant for a charge of assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury.
The alleged assault took place in the 300 block of Carolina Beach Avenue North at 9:10 a.m. on Thursday, April 22, the spokesperson said.
No other details were provided.
Kharrat was booked into the New Hanover County Jail under a $65,000 bond.
He has prior convictions in New Hanover County of assault, common law robbery, breaking and entering vehicles, larceny, and various drug-related offenses, according to online records with the N.C. Department of Public Safety.
Copyright 2021 WECT. All rights reserved.