By WECT Staff | November 10, 2020 at 10:10 AM EST – Updated November 10 at 10:10 AM
WILMINGTON, N.C. (WECT) – Wilmington Fire Department officials say improperly discarded smoking materials were to blame for a fire that damaged a home Tuesday morning.
A spokeswoman for the WFD said crews responded to the home, located near the intersection of Castle and 19th streets, around 6:30 a.m.
Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the back portion of the home.
No injuries were reported.
Investigators ruled the fire accidental due to the smoking materials, and say the fire started in the area of the back patio.
Early this am, crews responded to a working #housefire at 19th & Castle. We quickly contained the fire to the back portion of the home. Fortunately, there were no injuries. 🙏 Our investigators ruled the fire accidental due to improperly discarded smoking materials. pic.twitter.com/yHCVm0Yc8s
— WilmingtonFD (@WilmingtonFD) November 10, 2020
Copyright 2020 WECT. All rights reserved.