LELAND, N.C. (WECT) – Leland Fire and Rescue responded to a supposed gas leak on Britton Road in Harrington Square that was called in around 7:30 p.m. Thursday.
According to a Facebook post, crews evacuated residents when they found the alarm was actually for a concerning level of carbon monoxide in the apartment building.
A WECT crew is on the scene and fire crews said one building was evacuated due to high carbon monoxide levels.
The building is being aired out with fans and residents should be back in soon.
One resident who had been evacuated said they had been told it could be 60-90 minutes.
People were asked to stay clear of the area to allow fire crews to resolve the problem.
Construction work had caused the problem, according to a news release issued afterward:
Upon further investigation, Leland Fire/Rescue crews learned construction workers on the first floor had been running gas powered equipment for several hours Thursday. The carbon monoxide filled up the first floor and spread to the rest of the building.
Residents were allowed to return to the building around 10 p.m.
Copyright 2021 WECT. All rights reserved.