WILMINGTON, N.C. (WECT) – Between big performances from touring artists and the latest multi-million dollar hit movie, local theatre companies continue to perform at stages in the Historic Thalian Hall.
Big Dawg Productions
Big Dawg Productions is a non-profit community theatre company which was founded in 1995. They hope to perform “entertaining, thought-provoking, and social responsible theater.” Now performing at the Thalian Hall, they tend to perform at the Stein Studio Theatre at Thalian Hall. You can learn more and keep up with their auditions on Facebook and buy tickets at the Thalian Hall.
- School Girls; or, the African Mean Girls Play: June 16 to 26, Thursday to Saturday at 7:30 p.m., Sunday matinees at 3 p.m. Directed by Fracaswell Hyman.
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time: July 14 to 24, Thursday to Saturday at 7:30 p.m., Sunday matinees at 3 p.m. Directed by Gina Gambony.
- Aristophanes Lysistrata: August 4 to 14, Thursday to Saturday at 7:30 p.m., Sunday matinees at 3 p.m. Anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult for this performance.
- Misery (Based on the Stephen King novel): October 20 to 23, Thursday to Saturday at 7:30 p.m., Sunday matinees at 3 p.m.
- Jacob Marley’s Christmas Carol: December 8 to 18, Thursday to Saturday at 7:30 p.m., Sunday matinees at 3 p.m.
Opera House Theatre Company
The Opera House Theatre Company is a non-profit theatre company founded in 1985. The company tends towards recognizable productions alongside educational programs for those aspiring to work in the theatre industry. You can learn more about them on their website and buy tickets at the Thalian Hall.
- Grease: July 7 to 24, Thursday to Saturday at 7:30 p.m., Sunday matinees at 2 p.m. Directed by Jason Aycock.
- Newsies: August 4 to 21, Thursday to Saturday at 7:30 p.m., Sunday matinees at 2 p.m.
- Funny Girl: September 1 to 11, Thursday to Saturday at 7:30 p.m., Sunday matinees at 2 p.m.
- Anne Frank: September 15 to 18, Thursday to Saturday at 7:30 p.m., Sunday matinees at 2 p.m.
Hebredo Productions will present Blood Privilege with the assistance of Big Dawg Productions this fall.
- Blood Privilege by Don Fried: September 29 to October 9, Thursday to Saturday at 7:30 p.m., Sunday matinees at 3 p.m.
- Beach of Peace: November 4, Friday at 7:30 p.m. Presented by Historic Thalian Hall’s Main Attraction Series.
Thalian Association Community Theatre 2022-2023 Season
The Thalian Association Community Theatre is a non-profit membership organization with roots as far back as 1788. They produce five productions each year and manage the Hannah Block Historic USO/Community Arts Center. This year’s season is titled “Live is in the Air and on the Stage!”
- Something Rotten: October 7 to 16, 2022. The musical comedy tells the story of two playwrights in the 1590s attempting to write the world’s first musical.
- A Christmas Story: December 9 to 18, 2022. A Christmas Story is a musical adaption of Ralphie’s quest to get an Official Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot Range Model air rifle for Christmas.
- The Philadelphia Story: February 10 to 19, 2023. A romantic comedy about the story of a high-society socialite, her ex-husband and a tabloid magazine journalist.
- Rogers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella: April 7 to 16, 2023. A stage adaption of the 1997 teleplay version of the classic story.
Thalian Association Youth Theatre Season 2022-2023
- Disney’s Descendants the Musical: September 16 to 25, 2022. The teenage children of infamous Disney villains try to manage their legacies and their new lives at prep school.
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Jr.: November 18 to 27, 2022. An one-hour musical adaption of the classic television special.
- The Wizard of Oz: January 20-29, 2023. A one-hour adaption of The Wizard of Oz created for younger actors.
- School House Rock Live! Jr.: March 10-19, 2023. A young schoolteacher finds himself surrounded by characters representing facets of his own imagination in this adaption of the educational cartoon series.
- Tuck Everlasting: April 28 to May 7, 2023. Winnie Foster gets more than she bargained for after running into the magical Tuck.
Copyright 2022 WECT. All rights reserved.