By Jamiese Price | May 12, 2020 at 9:01 AM EDT – Updated May 12 at 9:01 AM
RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Protesters will be back in Raleigh once again on Tuesday to call for Gov. Roy Cooper to reopen the state fully amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
This comes just days after the state entered Phase 1 of Cooper’s reopening plan.
The crowds at the ReOpen NC protests have shrunk considerably since they began around a month ago.
At one point the rallies were drawing a crowd of more than 1,000 people.
Last week there were barely enough people to pack a downtown parking lot.
Many of the protesters last week told CBS 17 their friends stayed home to prepare to reopen their small businesses.
The question now becomes: since many non-essential businesses are open at 50-percent capacity will business owners show up?
Others who have participated in the protests previously said interest has dwindled since one administrator tested positive for COVID-19 and another left the organization after a series of arrests.
For the past few weeks, ReOpen NC protesters have been met by counterprotesters in the health care field who have said reopening too quickly isn’t safe.
Copyright 2020 WECT. All rights reserved.