Area schools announce Thurs. schedule changes due to severe weather threat
By WECT Staff | March 17, 2021 at 2:07 PM EDT – Updated March 18 at 2:14 PM
SOUTHEASTERN NORTH CAROLINA (WECT) – Several school districts have adjusted learning schedules on Thursday, March 18, due to the threat of severe weather across the region. Other schedule changes are below.
- New Hanover County Schools will release all schools two hours early, which would be 12:30 p.m. for elem. students and 1:40 p.m. for middle and high schools. Staff will also be dismissed at 3 p.m. All after-school activities have been canceled.
- New Hanover County government offices and attractions will close at 4 p.m., this includes the COVID-19 call center and all vaccination sites.
- New Hanover County courts will close at 4 p.m.
- Cape Fear Community College will close all campus locations at 4 p.m.
- UNCW to cancel all classes (including online) and events and activities beginning at 1 p.m.
- The city of Wilmington will close its administrative offices at 4p.m. and resume normal operations on Friday. All afternoon and evening recreation programs have been cancelled.
- Cape Fear Public Utility Authority to close its offices at 4 p.m.
- The N.C. Aquarium at Fort Fisher to close at 4 p.m.
- Schools will be releasing early Thursday as a safety precaution. Click here for the early release times for individual schools.
- Pender County will close all county offices and libraries at 4 p.m. The county’s COVID-19 call center will close at 3 p.m. County parks and the Holly Shelter Shooting Range will close at 3 p.m. All convenience sites and the Hampstead Transfer Station will close ta 5 p.m.
- Pender County courts will close at 4 p.m.
- Moores Creek National Battlefield to close at 3 p.m.
- Brunswick County schools will release early on Thursday. According to district officials, the release schedule is as follows: High schools release at 12 p.m. Middle schools release at 12:15 p.m. Elementary schools release at 1 p.m.
- Brunswick Community College will also close at 1 p.m. for all classes and services. Anyone with an appointment for a COVID-19 vaccine at the community college site should monitor email for an changes.
- Shallotte Town Hall to close at 3 p.m.
- Bladen County Schools announced that Thursday will be a remote-only learning day for students due to the severe weather threat. Teachers and staff will need to contact their immediate supervisor for work options as weather permits. Students are instructed to log-in to their Google classroom to complete their attendance and classwork assignments for Thursday. District officials say the meal-delivery-by-bus program will not operate on Thursday and all afternoon/afterschool activities are canceled.
- Bladen County Community College will close at 2pm.
- The Community Baptist Academy on HWY 410, Bladenboro will dismiss at 11:30 a.m. Thursday.
- Columbus County Schools — All students will be released at 1 p.m. Thursday.
- Southeastern Community College will close at 2 p.m.
All students will be released at 1 p.m. Thursday and all after-school activities have been cancelled.
Sampson County schools will be a remote-learning day for students and staff on Thursday.
Coastal Preparatory School, Wilmington
Students will be released at 1 p.m. Thursday.
Copyright 2021 WECT. All rights reserved.