There’s something about brisket during the winter holidays that just soothes the soul. This Hanukkah, make this satisfying brisket recipe crafted by the flavor connoisseurs at Savory Spice, an online spice, extract, and sauces shop.
“A flavorful rub, a few hours in the oven, and a little patience are all it takes to make this easy braised brisket at home,” says Michael Kimball, Savory Spice product and food media manager. “To make sure your brisket stays tender and juicy, don’t skip the resting period after it comes out of the oven. Resting is essential for large cuts of meat to retain their moisture.”
Savory Spice’s Weekend Brisket (Courtesy of Savory Spice)
Savory Spice’s Weekend Brisket
Makes 6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours
1 Tbsp. sea salt
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1 tsp. Onion & Garlic Tableside Sprinkle or onion and garlic seasoning of choice
2 Tbsp. honey
2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
1 (4 to 5 lb.) trimmed brisket flat
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup beef broth
1. Stir together salt, pepper, onion and garlic tableside sprinkle, seasoning of choice, honey, and mustard.
2. Rub mixture all over brisket. Set seasoned brisket in a large baking dish, fat side up, and let sit at room temperature for one hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 250 °F.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 min.
4. Add garlic and cook for one more min.
5. Remove from heat and stir in broth.
6. Spoon onion-broth mixture over brisket.
7. Cover dish tightly with foil. Bake for four-to-five hours, or until the brisket reaches 195 °F and is fork tender.
8. Remove from oven, replace foil, and rest brisket for 50 to 60 min before slicing thinly across the grain.
9. Serve with onions and juice spooned over the top.