Courtesy Bonnie Taub-Dix, RDN
Pumpkin bread season is here. What better way to start your day than with a slice of pumpkin bread, a cup of coffee, and a moment of gratitude.
If you like this recipe, it may quickly become a year-round staple, though.
“Although this recipe is perfect for welcoming fall, my family enjoys this luscious quick bread year through thanks to the use of canned pumpkin,” says Bonnie Taub-Dix, RDN, nutrition consultant, media trainer, and author of Read It Before You Eat It – Taking You from Label to Table. “This recipe is decadent enough to be served as a dessert, or you can enjoy it for breakfast paired with a scoop of cottage or ricotta cheese or a side of eggs.”
Pumpkin Bread with Dark Chocolate Chips and Almonds by Bonnie Taub-Dix, RDN
Makes 2 loaves
Prep time: 20-30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1-⅓ cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup granulated sugar
4 egg whites or 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
½ cup avocado oil or extra light olive oil
½ cup Greek yogurt – plain
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
⅔ cup almond milk – unsweetened
15 ounce can of pumpkin purée (unsweetened)
⅓ cup dark chocolate chips
⅓ cup slivered almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Spoon flours into dry measuring cups and level with a knife.
3. Whisk together with the next four ingredients (through cinnamon) in a large bowl.
4. Combine sugar, egg whites, oil, vanilla extract, yogurt and eggs in a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer at a high speed until blended.
5. Add almond milk and canned pumpkin, beating at a low speed until blended together.
6. Add flour mixture to above mixture and beat at a low speed just until combined (don’t over mix.)
7. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
8. Coat two loaf pans (9″ x 5″-inch each) with cooking spray. Spoon batter into pans and fill half-way. Sprinkle almonds evenly over batter. Bake breads (in loaf pans) for one hour, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.