Karl Manke, 77, had his license suspended on May 13. It was finally reinstated on Monday, when barbershops and salons in the state were allowed to reopen, according to MLive.com.
“I am pleased with the orders issued today to reinstate my licenses so I can continue to move forward,” Manke said in a statement sent to the website. “I still believe it is high time for all of Michigan to Stand Up, Open Up for business, and for all the people in our community to Show Up in support.”
Aside from having his license suspended, Manke was cited at least twice for continuing operations during the state lockdown and was charged with a misdemeanor.
Last week, the Michigan Supreme Court sided with Manke, saying the state appeals court didn’t follow proper procedure to make its decision.
“It is incumbent on the courts to ensure decisions are made according to the rule of law, not hysteria.” Justice David F. Viviano wrote in his opinion. “One hopes that this great principle — essential to any free society, including ours — will not itself become yet another casualty of COVID-19.”
The next day, a Michigan Circuit Court blocked the state’s attorney general from trying to hold Manke in contempt of court for keeping his business open.
“It is no longer appropriate for Plaintiff to seek to compel Defendant to comply with a nonexistent injunction,” the order from Judge Matthew J. Stewart said.
“I’m not going to stand down,” he said at the time.
“I’m 77 years old. I mean, what are they going to give me? Life?” he added. “I’ve got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. I [couldn’t] care less.”